Llwchwr Town Council is a large local council.
The Council's area consists of the City and County of Swansea Council's wards of: Lower Loughor, Upper Loughor, Garden Village and Kingsbridge.
The area runs from the Loughor Estuary to the river bridge at Llewitha.
The Council comprises sixteen Councillors, who are elected every four years by the residents living in the communities of Loughor, Kingsbridge and Garden Village. All councillors have an interest in serving and developing their local community.
If you would like to contribute in any way please see contact details
Loughor was home to the Roman fort of Leucarum, over which the Norman Loughor Castle was built in 1106. Loughor developed around the castle.
Loughor grew as a port, while in the early twentieth century large tin and steel works were the main industries. A local family eventually ran large copper mining, copper smelting and trading businesses in and around Swansea (Vivian & Sons) and, throughout the 19th century, did much to develop Swansea into a city.
Loughor town can be divided into two areas defined by the present day electoral wards Lower Loughor and Upper Loughor, which have separate histories. Lower Loughor lies nearer the sea and is set on low ground whilst Upper Loughor lies on higher ground. Loughor initially developed around the Norman castle in what is now the Lower Loughor ward. Upper Loughor began as a distinct settlement, initially around what is now the Glebe Road area. Upper Loughor Town was well established as a separate town by the mid 19th Century.
Kingsbridge and Garden Village
The Battle of Gower 1136
On the 1st of January 1136 a battle took place on Garn Goch Common which lies between Garden Village and Llewitha .The Battle between the Normans and the Welsh had many casualties with the report of many bodies being scattered among the fields.
The Welsh army was led by the lord of Brycheiniog (Brecknockshire), Hywel ap Maredudd containing men from Brycheiniog and Northern Gŵyr that despised the Norman rule in Southern Gŵyr. It is alleged that the Normans expected to meet a small collection of Welsh raiding bands, however the scale of the Welsh army took them by surprise. In a bloody battle the Welsh army emerged victorious; the Normans lost around 500 men.
The battle is remembered on a memorial stone erected on the common and unveiled on 1st March 1986.